Thursday 22 December 2011

A second Very Good Date; And the ensuing silence.

After my first date with Ben, which went very well indeed, a clash of schedules (Christmas is a busy time!) meant that we couldn't have our second date until exactly 2 weeks after the first. We had been texting quite a bit in between though, so the gap didn't feel like it was a problem.

We met at Embankment and walked over the Hungerford bridge (totes pretty, I love the Thames at night) to the southbank, and discovered that the German market was on. Amazing. We had a little wander down looking at all the pretties (our dates keep seeming to have a German theme - strange) and had some mulled wine as we walked, which was needed because it was absolutely freezing.

I was a bit worried (I worry too much, evidently) that the first date may have been a fluke somehow – that we had so much to talk about because we were both a bit nervous, and maybe the second date just wouldn’t live up to it. Or that we’d talked about everything and we’d be sitting in silence. However, we were chatting away in no time and everything felt just as comfortable and natural as before. Phew!

I was also a bit worried that maybe between the first and second date, I’d built him up a bit too much in my head and when I’d meet him for the second time, all magic and attraction would be gone. Luckily, this was not the case. Still as cute as ever, still had loads to talk about, lots in common, and absolutely one of, if not THE nicest guys I have dated in 2011. Ending this year on a high, definitely.

Eventually we headed down to Strada (one of my fave places to eat around that area) and after a little wait for a table, headed in. So far, so good. I had picked the location (Southbank at this time of year is always a failsafe) so only fair I pick the restaurant I suppose. Dinner was lovely, had quite a bit of wine, chatting away as comfortably as last time - the first date was definitely not a fluke.

We talked about all manner of things, as you do – even touched on the subject of my ex. Now. I don’t usually like talking about Robert (or Edward, or any of them really) with guys, especially ones I really like. But he asked me why I went to the Uni that I did, so, as I’m an honest (sometimes too much so) person, I just said the truth – that I didn’t get into my first choice, and my second choice was the one that Robert was going to anyway, so I put it, and got accepted. I touched briefly on how/when we broke up, the cheating, but honestly didn’t want to talk about it too much. He seemed fine with it though, didn’t physically recoil anyway, and was talking to me about it. I also talked about that period of my life in general, and some bad things that happened; but he actually asked me questions about it etc, so it was fine. It was only afterwards that I slightly regretted talking about it (you never really want to talk about things like that with your date do you?) but I suppose the wine just got me talking. That and I felt so comfortable around him that I guess I wanted to open up. He seemed genuinely interested and cared about what I was talking about though so I’m pretty sure he wasn’t weirded out.

In fact, he didn’t scarper straight after dinner, he asked if I wanted to get a drink somewhere else so we headed to another bar until closing time, which was nice. It was about 11.30 and I had work the next day so realised I should probably head home! We walked along the Southbank back to London Bridge (further than we thought!) in the wind and the rain but despite getting a bit rained on it was lovely – and he stopped to kiss me a few times which was all very romantic and wonderful - things that just don't happen to me.


Eventually got back to the tube and said our goodbyes – again with several kisses, tee hee – where we realised we probably wouldn’t see each other until the week between Christmas and New Year at the earliest,  as he was going home a few days later. So agreed we should do something then, after I mentioned that I’d be back in London around then. After we realised it would be a while before we would see each other, he said ‘We should definitely text more, I feel that we don’t text enough!’ Which, coming from a guy (sorry guys) is nothing short of miraculous! Amazing. In my opinion, we were actually texting a fair bit anyway, but he obvs wants to up the game. This I fine. This is better than fine.

So we parted ways, I was drunk and happy (hooray) and went home to bed. The next day was Friday, so I text him that evening (as he said we should text more!) to ask him what he was up to, and say what I was doing. Just a general chit chat casual message. Normal. One kiss. Good punctuation. All that.

What happened next? Nothing. Abso-bloody-lutely nothing.

It’s now Thursday (1 week since the date) and I haven’t heard anything from him AT ALL. What’s the deal? If he hadn’t have said about the whole texting-more thing then I wouldn’t be too bothered (although still, no contact at all?) but he specifically said, let’s text. Let’s text more. Let’s do more of the texting thing.

So, I debated a long time over whether to text again – after all, he was busy that weekend, going home, seeing friends, he may have forgotten to reply. Erring on the side of optimism, I decided to text one last time, yesterday afternoon. My message was essentially, Hey, you’ve been a bit quiet, are you enjoying being at home? I’ve got my Christmas Party tonight, hurrah, let’s try and meet on the so and so of December if you’re in London?

Still nothing.

So. He’s either lost his phone and can't contact me (unlikely, facebook exists), has been in a terrible accident (hopefully not…), or evidently hates me. I can’t fathom a reason why he’s suddenly ended all contact otherwise.

Thoughts/opinions would be gratefully received. I really like this guy and would love to see him again but perhaps it’s over before it even began…

2 comments:

Luke Stott said...

When things don't add up it's because you don't know all the parts of the equation. Evidently something has happened between the first and second dates in his life that has caused this behaviour.

Let me play devil's advocate: so this guy is uber nice, courteous, friendly, charming etc. He does all the things you want. Now if that guy didn't see things going any further how do you think he would react? I'd be willing to bet he'd be so scared of hurting your feelings (wow women's feelings seem to be this week's topic!) that he'd just avoid it entirely and take the easy (cowardly) way out.

You've texted him 3 times and no response? Delete the number. Do this because it's highly likely you'll want to send a 4th - especially drunk. This is a bad thing because I've noticed on these blogs how guys will go off and sort their lives out and then come back into the equation at a later date (tbh girls do it with me all the time - I call it checking in). The more you try to get in touch the more he'll stay away. If a girl chases me like crazy (and vice versa) I'm less likely to want to see her again because I can't help but feel that if she's so desperate to be with me it must mean she's reaching for me (or vice versa)and nobody really wants to settle.

In short I think this is done for now. I do think that you'll hear from him again in the future though (I honestly don't think it's something you did wrong for the record - I bet someone else is going on in his life right now)and when you do you can score the easy win by asking 'sorry who is this?'

Suddenly the power is back with you.

Single Girl said...

Yeah, defintely agree with you. My current thinking is that he's met someone else. I'd still quite like to know though, you know?

I only text him twice after date 2 though, but between dates 1 and 2 we were texting a lot. I just don't know. It's defo over though. Le sigh.

Single Girl x